Creating a mission statement for your company or organization brings benefits at little to no cost.
In this article, you’ll find best practices, tips, templates, and examples you can use to create a trustworthy hospital mission statement with ease.
Let’s jump in!
What is a mission statement and why do hospitals need one?
Mission statement is a brief summary of the organization’s services and capabilities.
They are customer-centric and rooted in the present.
Mission statements provide an opportunity to address the most important aspects of the services offered by the organization.
Simply put, a successful mission statement will convey to your patients why they should choose your hospital and reassure them about their choice.
It will also help rally the staff around the most important ideas you want to promote in the mission statement.
Benefits of having a clear mission statement for hospitals
Few things are as cost-effective in business as having a powerful mission statement.
You create it once and reap the benefits indefinitely.
A clear mission statement brings a wide range of benefits including:
- Being able to use the mission statement for content marketing purposes
- Giving the staff clarity and purpose through focusing on what’s most important
- Reassuring the community your hospital cares
- Promoting the professional atmosphere among the staff
- Informing decision-making in many circumstances from hiring new staff members to a wide range of everyday hospital activities
- Helping the entire hospital become more action-driven and results-oriented
How many benefits your hospital reaps from its mission statement entirely depends on how many people are aware of it.
Perhaps even more important than creating a mission statement is actually using it and making it the motto of your hospital.
Mission statement best practices
Whether you’re trying to create a mission statement for a construction company or a hospital, some concepts are universal.
Mission statements should be:
- Simple to understand
- Rooted in the present
- Humble, ego-free
- Inspirational in its authenticity
Mission statements shouldn’t:
- Use overly flowery language
- Not represent the truth
- Take up an entire page
- Read like they were written by William Faulkner
Tips on how to create a trustworthy hospital mission statement
Here are some practical tips to keep in mind while in the process of creating a trustworthy hospital mission statements:
- Describe what you can do for your patients
- Create more than one mission statement while brain-storming
- Get second, third, or however many opinions you need before choosing the final one
- It’s OK to change a mission statement, nothing is set in stone
I suggest addressing the most important things to someone looking for health services like the quality of service, accessibility of care, and cost.
It also wouldn’t hurt to mention the community your hospital serves.
This can all be done in a sentence or two and it would drive home your hospital’s commitment to providing the best possible health care to your patients.
Mission statement generators
Mission statement generators are tools that can help you create your mission statement.
There are four different types of mission statement generators:
- Ones that ask key questions and craft your mission statement based on the answers
- Ones that break down a mission statement and let you fill in the key components yourself
- Ones that break down a mission statement and provide you with a lot of options for each of the component so you can stitch them up and create your statement
- Ones that generate completely random mission statements and throw them at you in hope that something sticks
I wrote an article where I listed the top 5 free mission statement generators.
Feel free to check it out to find more about all of them or continue reading here for the winner and the runner-up.
Here are the best two generators I found:
- HoneyBook mission statement generator – get your mission statement by answering questions
- Whole Whale mission statement generator – fill in key components to craft your mission statement
7 great hospital mission statement examples
Seattle Children’s Hospital
We provide hope, care and cures to help every child live the healthiest and most fulfilling life possible.
To provide patient-centered healthcare with excellence in quality, service, and access.
Joseph Brant Hospital
We are committed to exemplary health care. We are focused on clinical excellence, quality and patient safety. We have a passion for service.
Redlands Community Hospital
Our mission is to promote an environment where members of our community can receive high quality care and service so they can maintain and be restored to good health.
Rochester Regional Health
To enhance lives and preserve health by enabling access to a comprehensive, fully integrated network of the highest quality and most affordable care, delivered with kindness, integrity and respect.
Almonte General Hospital
Our mission is to provide a continuum of integrated primary health and long-term care services to our communities, focusing on quality care and personal attention, accountability and fiscal responsibility.
We will provide personal, accessible, and high-quality care to improve the health and well being of the communities we serve.